Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The (No-)Coupon Lady

I've never been good at using coupons and find them to be a hassle most of the time. Most things I buy the generic or store brand anyway, but thought I could start trying to use coupons. Granted, I had no desire to be the lady that gets $60 worth of groceries and only pays like $10 after coupons.

Today I needed a few things from the store and had coupons for some stuff that was already on sale. The Man likes the "sweet 'n salty" chex mix, and it was on sale for 3/$3. I had a coupon for $.60 that would make them $.80, compared to $3.19 regular price. The Tank is slowly getting ready for finger foods, and multi-grain cheerios were on sale, 2/$4. I had a coupon for $1 off, so they would have been $1.50 compared to $3-3.50? - I didn't check the regular price. And the candy was right across from the chex mix, so I saw that those new Hershey Bliss chocolates were on sale, and I had a coupon for $1 off, which would make them close to half price. I didn't need it, but what woman can resist cheap chocolate???

Go to check out, all excited about my saavy bargain shopping, only to have them tell me store policy won't let them accept internet coupons. These days, where else do you get coupons?

It irritated me, but I couldn't let it really get to me - there are plenty of other things that need my energy more right now. Yeah, I would have saved $2.60, which won't break us, and normally I wouldn't care. I think I just got so excited figuring out exactly how much I was saving by using coupons on sale items.

So much for coupons. I'll use the 1-2 they have in their weekly flier, but back to my usual buy what I need, when I need it, and keep my eye out for sales.

No comments: