Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cleaning

I grew up with Saturday cleaning. It worked, but it was also nice that my mom, sisters and I split the chores.

I carried that tradition on for most of my married life, but it just wasn't working for me anymore. With a little boy's naps to work around and a bigger house to deal with, there were some things I didn't get to when I actually felt like cleaning the whole house. And it was always the same things that got put off. (I won't even say how many months passed between the few times I cleaned our shower...)

So I decided to do a little bit each day to help me, with the idea that I want to keep a clean house, not keep cleaning the house. My husband, in the most loving way possible, would call me a nerd if he saw my sheet. :) I decided what needed to be done and how often, then filled out a calendar and printed it on a transparency. All I need to do is keep a calendar of the month behind it and look what needs to be done each day.

I've been doing this for a few weeks right now, and it's working quite well for me. I actually assigned nothing to Saturdays, so then I can either do anything I miss, but more likely I can use that day to help with siding (or whatever project we're undertaking at the time) or take on bigger tasks like painting or cleaning the fridge or organizing my closet.

Time to go. It sounds like the little boy is going to kick apart his crib.

No comments: