Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In the Kitchen Again

My hubby has never been a fan of Reuben sandwiches, but I really like them. Neither of us liked them when we were younger, but he insists he still doesn't like them. In the book I reviewed earlier, they had a recipe for "Reubens Reinvented." They're healthier, and different enough from my original version that I thought he may just like them. I used:

1/4# deli sliced corned beef (instead of the canned)
1/4# deli swiss cheese (instead of the Kraft singles)
2+ c. shredded cabbage (instead of sauerkraut)
2 heaping tablespoons canola mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
8 slices white bread (I don't think I could have convinced him to try them if I used rye)

Mix the cabbage, mayo and mustard. Assemble meat, cabbage, and cheese on bread and grill.

They were a hit. The corned beef was less salty, the cheese tasted less sugary, and Doug even thought the cabbage mix would be good on burgers.

Alright. Want more kitchen tips?

I doubt I'm the only one, but I often use utensils for other-than-intended purposes.

* A pastry cutter is perfect for chopping up tough ground meat. (We don't like big chunks of meat)

* A whisk is great for "sifting" together dry flour mixtures.

* A narrow spatula works better than a butter knife for spreading mayo on sandwiches.

Hmm. That's all I can think of for now.

Other than being in the kitchen, I'm busy running after the boy as he finds out what all he can get in to. My biggest dilemma is where to put the kitchen trash can - it doesn't fit in any of our cupboards.

1 comment:

MaryHeart said...

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm going to try the reubens soon since I've been thinking of putting them on the menu and your ideas sound better.