Thursday, March 5, 2009

Healthy Eats

I've got granola in the oven right now, and am wondering why it has been so long since I made it. I think for some reason I imagines it was more time consuming than it really is; the toughest thing is scraping the honey out of the measuring cup. (I use butter, but some recipes call for oil instead and a good tip is to measure the oil first and then your honey slides right out.)

That got me thinking about some healthier takes on regular foods. I think the two most successful recipes that I got from this book are recipes for burgers and pancakes.

Cheesy Black Bean Burgers

15 oz. black beans (1 can or 1 1/2 c.)
1 lb. ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1 c. shredded cheddar
1/3 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Drain and rinse beans; mash until mostly smooth. Mix in remaining ingredients and shape into 8 patties.

But it's flexible. I don't ever have seasoned bread crumbs, but I do have stale bread in the freezer (I never measure though). And seasonings are usually Mrs. Dash, Original is what I think I have on hand. So good, and my husband has never guessed that there's beans in them.

Hearty Cornmeal Apple Pancakes

2 eggs
1 3/4 c. milk
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. cornmeal
1/3 c. wheat germ
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 apple, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 c. pecans (opt)
1/4 c. mini chocolate chips (opt)

Whisk together eggs and milk. Whisk together dry ingredients; combine with egg mixture and stir until blended. Add apple. Pour onto skillet (1/4 c. = 4" cakes) and top with optional ingredients. Flip when bottom is golden and top is bubbly.

I made this without any of the optional ingredients and they were a hit. And a little more nutrition than our usual bisquick or hungry jack version.

No comments: