Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shortbread

I've done a lot of baking lately, and have been trying out a bunch of new recipes. I may try to catch up later, but there were a LOT of chocolate recipes we enjoyed, like World Peace Cookies and homemade chocolate pudding.

But yesterday I took a much-needed step back from the chocolate, and instead made Twice-Baked Shortbread which was really good. I got the recipe from a blog a while back, so I don't remember where I got it from.


Twice-Baked Shortbread

12 Tbsp. butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and still warm
5 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
sugar for sprinkling

-Baking pan with removable bottom (9 1/2" round, 4x14" rectangle) greased, or 8" square baking dish lined with foil (leave overhang on two sides).

Combine melted butter with sugar, vanilla, and salt; add flour and mix just until incorporated. Press into bottom of prepared pan, and let rest for at least 2 hours (no need to refrigerate).

Place rack in lower 1/3 of oven and preheat to 300 F. Bake shortbread for 45 minutes. Take out and sprinkle with sugar; let cool for 10 minutes, leaving oven on. Remove from pan carefully and use a sharp thin knife cut it into squares/wedges/fingers. Places pieces slightly apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 15 minutes. Cool on rack.


They were really good and a nice break from our usual super-sweet desserts. I did have a "Millionaire's Shortbread Bars" recipe which was topped with caramel and chocolate, but we'll save that for another time.

Today my afternoon will be spent in and out of the kitchen again. I have 175 brats to boil for our lunch at work tomorrow. I can fit about 2 dozen in my stock pot and about 1 1/2 dozen in my dutch oven, so only four more rounds to go. I'm sure I'll have a mess with all the times the water will boil over and piles of brats to be cooked and piles of brats cooling.

But at least I don't have to make supper tonight!

No comments: