Monday, September 21, 2009

How to Make Spinach Delicious

My little boy, who is usually good about eating, already has an aversion to green, leafy things on his plate. He can overlook crumbs and dirt stuck to a peach I had missed under the table, but will sit there and pick out tiny green leaves mixed in with his food.

I also needed a solution for the nights that Doug and I have things that aren't very toddler friendly and hard to eat.

One night, when Henry and I were on our own for supper, I tried a recipe for spinach pie. He inhaled it, while I only thought it was edible, until I had leftovers for dinner the next day and it tasted much better than the night before. It was the perfect solution: Henry loved it, it was easy, plus I could make it early in the afternoon. (This is the closest I will get to making separate meals for picky family members).


Secretly Delicious Spinach Pie - original version
My version:

1 flour tortilla
5 eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
kosher salt, to taste
1 c. shredded mozzarella
2 c. fresh spinach

Place tortilla in cake or pie pan and sprinkle with about half of the cheese. Place spinach and remaining cheese on top and press down gently. Whisk together eggs, milk, lemon pepper, and salt, and pour over top. (I don't worry about it getting under the tortilla since we don't care that it's not crispy). Bake at 365 for 30-40 minutes or until set.

No comments: