Monday, October 12, 2009

Chocolate and Pumpkin Cupcakes

So even though it seems that we've skipped fall and jumped into winter, my recipes have been reflecting the fall season, namely pumpkin.

My cousin (well, she married my cousin so does that make her my cousin-in-law?) Jessica has been posting some pumpkin recipes which may have inspired me. ;)

This week I made Chocolate Muffins with Pumpkin Frosting, which I found at the Tasty Kitchen. They were really good, but the muffin part was a bit finicky for me. Slightly over half full and they spilled over the edges and were difficult to separate from the pan. And they definitely did not dome like a cupcake, so there's a thick layer of frosting to cover where the middles settled down. I did add a little more powdered sugar to thicken the frosting, but it was still a little thin to spread smoothly, in my opinion. But I'm all about taste, not looks, so these were still good.

Chocolate Muffins with Pumpkin Frosting

Muffins:
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. cocoa (dark was recommended, I used my regular Dutched cocoa)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. buttermilk
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.

Cream together butter and sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing just to blend, then add vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk until combined. Mix well until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Grease muffin tins or line with paper cups. Fill halfway and bake at 325 for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean - do not overbake, they are very moist. Cool in pan about 2 minutes then remove to cool on a wire rack.

This can also be baked in 2 greased loaf pans. Increase baking time to about 65 minutes. (I only have one muffin tin, so partway through I was wishing I had taken this suggestion since I ended up with 3 1/2 dozen muffins.)

Frosting:
  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 8 oz. cream cheese (I use the 1/3 less fat Naufchatal cheese)
  • 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 c. canned pumpkin
Beat cream cheese, add butter and beat until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed. You can refrigerate frosting before icing the cakes, which makes it slightly stiffer and easier to spread.

But if you make them, be prepared to share!

1 comment:

Deb said...

I liked them too!