Monday, November 2, 2009

Amish Baked Oatmeal

I've only tried one recipe of baked oatmeal so far, so I don't know if it's the best version out there, but it was good. It needs to sit in the fridge overnight so you do need to make it the night before, but that makes the next morning easy. I try to make a good breakfast on Saturday mornings, so recipes like this cut down on the time required.

It's easy enough that it would work on weekday mornings also, but for me it's not really worth it since I'm the only on that eats breakfast at home, even though leftovers reheat well.

Amish Baked Oatmeal

2 eggs
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 1/8 c. milk
3 c. oats (quick or old-fashioned)

Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in sugar, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon/nutmeg, and salt until smooth. Whisk in butter and milk, then stir in oats. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until the center is set. Serve hot with warm milk poured over top.

***
It was really sweet, so the sugar could easily be cut back a bit in my opinion. Also, I didn't serve it with milk because that sounded unusual to me, but I do recommend it because this does end up a bit dry. I had some of the leftovers with milk poured over it, and it was very good.

I did make it with the quick oats, so I would probably increase the amount of milk next time, especially if using the old-fashioned oats.

No comments: