Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Avocados - Two Ways

I have loved avocados for about two years, and look forward to when they go on sale.  I never disliked them before that - I just never had them.

And now I get to enjoy one of my favorite lunches whenever they're on sale:

Avocado Sandwiches
1 avocado
~1.5 tsp. lemon juice
1-2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and dice while still in peel; scoop flesh out with a spoon.  Sprinkle with lemon juice, and stir in mayonnaise (I usually use just enough to hold it together) and add salt and pepper.  Serve on a piece of toast, or wrapped in a tortilla.  Or eat by the spoonful if you're so inclined.  I won't tell.

I've also added bacon and/or tomatoes at times.  Yum!

And now I have a new recipe that I love that uses avocados, except this one's for your hair!

I know I found the inspiration on other internet sites, but I don't remember where and it's a combination of several different ones I read about.

Avocado Hair Mask
1/2 avocado
1/4 c. mayonnaise
olive oil
honey

I didn't measure the oil or honey, just a drizzle of each.  Combine in a blender so you don't have to pick chunks of avocado out of your hair!

To use:  Wash your hair and apply the avocado mixture.  I don't have a shower cap, so I just wrapped my head in saran wrap and then a towel and left it on for about an hour.  I washed and conditioned it again after I rinsed it out - I wasn't sure if I would wake up smelling like bad mayonnaise if I just rinsed it out and it wasn't worth that risk.

This left my hair super soft and much more moisturized than it usually is!  I have really thick hair about shoulder length, and I still had enough to use this twice.  Just put the leftovers in the fridge until next time - you might want to make sure your family knows it's not food, even though it is technically edible. :)


I do have my final Christmas update coming.  Soon.  Before next Christmas.  Okay, hopefully in the next week.

No comments: