Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mmmm... Cookies!

A while ago I was randomly thinking about a cookie I haven't had in ages, and wasn't ever sure I had at home.  I didn't think I could even describe it well enough to my mom to see if she knew what I was talking about.  And within days I stumbled across this  post at Baking and Creating with Avril while looking at some blogs with Christmas cookie posts.

And I went, really?  Molasses cookies?  They sounded and looked like they might be what I was thinking of, but I never would have guesses molasses.

Even while I was making them, I was thinking that they smelled too molasses-y.

Then they came out of the oven.  Pure perfection.

And at the rate I've been eating them, I apparently like them more than a good chocolate chip cookie.

Molasses Cookies (from Baking and Creating with Avril, who got them from Cooking During Stolen Moments)

3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. molasses
2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 c. white sugar for rolling

Cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy.  Beat in the egg and molasses well.

Combine the flour, soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger with a whisk.  Add to molasses mixture and mix until well combined.  Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1-2 hours.

Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in white sugar.  Place on lightly greased cookie sheets (I have air bake pans and skip the greasing) and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes - I did 12 minutes and they were perfectly soft, just beyond doughy middles, but my cookies were smaller than Avril's.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

gepetto82 said...

These have always been one of my favorites too! Along with snickerdoodles. You should try dusting a little bit of powder sugar on them too. Yummy!

Cindy said...

I'll have to try the powdered sugar next time - although I should wait a little while. Or my Live Healthy Iowa team might suffer since I have no self control with these! :)