Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buttermilk Syrup

Last time I made this, the boys were well into their pancakes before I thought of a picture, and I'm not a true food blogger and didn't haul out my camera to photograph my plate before digging in.

I don't remember where I got this recipe, but it was on a blog linked to FoodGawker. Quite a while ago.

I LOVE this syrup, and Henry did the first time we had it, but the next time we had it for supper and Doug sat down and asked where the regular syrup was before trying this.  So now Henry insists on regular syrup too.

The syrup starts out foamy when you first make it, which tastes great, and then the leftovers turn more into syrup and are delicious in a different way.  I've never been a huge syrup fan (except for the real stuff, which I can't afford due to the large quantities Doug and Henry use), but this?

This I can eat by the spoonful.

Straight out of the fridge.

(When no one's looking.)

Buttermilk Syrup

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. sugar
1/3 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

In a medium saucepan, combine butter, milk, and sugar.  Bring to a boil while stirring.  Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and soda - it will foam.

The reason for the odd measurement of vanilla is that this it 1/3 of the original recipe, and it still makes about 2 cups.  I happen to have 1/3 tsp. measuring spoon, but if you don't, I think you could use 1/2 tsp. without any worry.  But then I tend to think measurements are just guidelines.

And my FAVORITE pancakes to have this on is: Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes, originally from The Pioneer Woman.

1 comment:

jill m said...

I will definitely be trying this! We have pancakes for supper usually once a week.