Thursday, April 7, 2011

How I Cleaned Up My Beauty Routine - Part 1

So this is the post where I confess that I've turned into a hippie of sorts. :)

Ok, not really.  But I am going the more natural route.  I have avoided most commercial cleaners for several years, and use baking soda and vinegar for most of my cleaning.  But my most recent purge of chemicals was from my personal hygiene supplies.


About the only thing I still use is my eyeliner and some occasional cover up.

This week I'll explain the changes I made to my hair care, and next week I'll go over my skin care.  (So far all my 'recipes' have come from Crunch Betty since her site is pretty comprehensive and saves me a lot of internet surfing.)

First, this week's shocking confession: I haven't used shampoo in six weeks

Instead I'm using baking soda and vinegar



I haven't had a miraculous change in hair texture like some people seem to have, but my hair is clean, it's chemical free, and it's cheap so I still prefer it over shampoo and conditioner.

I'm still hoping for a change in texture.  Since my hair is thick and coarse, maybe it's just taking longer than the average person for my hair to adjust - it's still quite dry and never really got oily during the transition phase.

I'd post before and after pictures, but the only change is that I've given up trying to style my natural curl/frizz (which hasn't been cooperating for months) and just pull my hair back in a barrette or a pony tail. 

Someday I may try one of the recipes for hair gel made from gelatin (plain of course!) or flax seeds.  I'll let you know if I ever get adventurous. 

Check back next week for my shocking confession on what I wash my face with! :)


(And along the natural route, I explained a while ago that I no longer buy female products.  I would never go back and wish that I knew about this years ago.  For some reason - that I don't understand - it's not common even though the option has been around since the 1930s.  So if you're open to change I recommend checking it out.)

3 comments:

jill m said...

I cannot imagine not using conditioner on my hair! It would be thick and nasty without it... which make me curious about your hair cleaning routine. I'll be reading your future posts!!

Cindy said...

The apple cider vinegar rinse (used as conditioner) actually leaves my hair really soft. And tangle free. I can actually use a comb through my hair after washing it and it goes straight through - and my hair is thick.

I didn't really cover it in my post since the Crunchy Betty site is pretty thorough, but it takes time to adjust. After about two weeks, there was a little difference, but closer to week 5 I noticed a change - it started to feel a lot less "thick" and much easier to wash and rinse. (Mom noticed that change at about the same time frame too.)

I think Rachel was going to try it, so I guess you better too unless you want to be the odd one out. ;)

Long reply - Sorry!

Deb said...

It has been months of using the soda and vinegar as shampoo and rinse on my hair and each time I'm still amazed at how soft my hair is and how easy to style even though I've always had an easy hairstyle. Give it a go Jill, and on your girls hair too. No more nasty tangles to come through! If Cindy's hair is now tangle free, it's guaranteed your girls' will be too.