Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How I Cleaned Up My Beauty Routine - Part 2

This weeks shocking confession: I wash my face with oil.  Castor and olive oil to be exact.


I have combination skin and have struggled with acne more in the past 2 years than when I was a teenager.

A little frustrating when you're closer to 30 than 13.


ProActiv did nothing for me.  SkinID sort of helped.  Clinique helped a little.  But all of those require a good chunk of money shelled out regularly.

And now I wash my face with oil.  I don't think the oil cleansing method helped rid my face of acne, but overall it seems like it evened out my skin tone.  My cheeks are soft and no longer have the frustrating issue of an oily face that's dry and flaky because of acne treatments.

My complexion is so much better that I've been comfortable enough to go without foundation for close to two months.  (Granted, it's still not perfect and I occasionally need to use a dab of cover up.)

But the acne toner is what made a huge difference, even before I started using oil to wash my face.  If you give this a try, I'll give you a heads up that it stinks.  Between witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, and tea tree oil, it's best not to breathe too deeply while applying!

Don't worry though, the smell goes away once it (quickly) dries.  I know - I had my mom sniff my cheek one morning without telling her why. :p

This is my skin routine:

Morning
'Wash' my face in the shower with an almond-oatmeal scrub mixed with witch hazel
Acne toner

Evening
Oil cleansing method
Acne mask (maybe once a week)
Acne toner

I have used lemon juice to spot treat, and I've used it in place of the toner at night if I seem to be having a breakout.  It seems to work sometimes, and other times not so well.

But it's better than the spot treatments that came with ProActiv and SkinID which never worked for me.

I can't believe how effective the natural (and cheap) method is, and I wish I had discovered this years ago!

Someday I plan to make my own deodorant too.  We'll see how that goes. :)

(Again no before/after pictures because after scouring my recent photos, the only photos that would be close enough to show my complexion are blurry shots taken from odd and unusual angles by the 3-year-old.)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

This is so interesting, Cindy! When life isn't so hectic around here I want to try some of these things. Sounds like it's really been working for you.

Cindy said...

Jess, I hope things calm down for you soon! And I didn't jump right into all of this, which would have completely overwhelmed me. I only changed about one thing every few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions when you start!