Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Strawberries - The Good and The Ugly

Since strawberries were on sale the other week, I couldn't resist them even though Doug refuses to eat strawberry-anything.  Unless it's artificially flavored.

I think it's the seeds.

I had enough strawberries for two recipes. 

Both tasted delicious. 

One turned out ugly.

When I bought the strawberries, strawberry pie was at the top of my list since I don't think I've ever made it before, and it's been forever since I had a piece.  So I found a recipe that didn't require Jell-o.

Actually a combination of the best parts of three different recipes.

And this is what I got:
 Henry tossed out his crust and ate "strawberry soup."

The cooked cornstarch and strawberry mixture had thickened in the pan while I finished cutting up the last strawberries and I had to stir it up before pouring it over top.

And in the fridge it turned completely liquid again.

I don't know what went wrong, but it still tasted like strawberry pie.

(So Mom, there's proof that my attempts in the kitchen aren't always a success!)

Now for the good: Strawberries and Cream Bread. YUM!
Of course Doug wouldn't try it even though it was really good.  So Henry wouldn't try it.

(Until it was over half gone and Grandma had some, and then he loved it.)

Strawberries & Cream Bread -from food.com, and the only change is I added more strawberries

1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 c. sour cream, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. diced strawberries

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.  Cream butter and add sugar; beat until light and fluffy, then add brown sugar.

Beat in eggs, one at a time, then sour cream and vanilla.

Add flour mixture and stir just until moistened.  Fold in strawberries.

Pour into a greased 8x4 loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick comes out (mostly) clean.  (Mine didn't come out perfectly clean but my bread wasn't doughy at all.)  Let stand 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments: