Monday, August 15, 2011

Menu Plan and How to Use Up Cucumbers

I haven't had much of a plan for meals lately, which is kind of a good sign since we're eating lots from the garden.

We're still well-supplied with cucumbers, tomatoes are ripening about 2 at a time, and I've made and froze a few batches of pesto from my healthy basil plant.  And after being half-eaten by rabbits or birds, my green beans have apparently recovered and flourished and now we'll probably be eating beans every-other night.

This week I actually have a plan:

Monday: Burgers, Grilled Corn, and Beans

Tuesday: Baked Fish, Buttermilk Rolls, and Cucumber Pickles

Wednesday: Sandwiches/Veggies/Use up the produce/Leftovers night

Thursday: Mexican Lasagna

Friday: Tavern, Un-fried French Fries, and Beans or Cucumbers

Saturday: Pizza and Chips (Hopefully I'll get to make the tomato and pesto one I planned to make all last year, but didn't have any garden tomatoes)

Sunday: Breakfast - Sticky Buns
             Lunch - Doug's parents'

If anyone else needs ideas for using up cucumbers, here are some of my favorites:

Pickles - 3-4 cucumbers sliced thin (we like ours peeled) and sprinkled with salt, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and 1Tbsp. vinegar.  Mix and let set for a little while - or serve right away if you remembered to make them as everyone is already on their way to the table.  Keeps just fine in the fridge for quite a while (if there's enough juice).

Cucumber Sandwich - Spread a little mayo on bread (top and bottom unless you want an open sandwich.  But I like bread.), sprinkle with dried dill weed.  Top with (peeled) cucumber slices and sprinkle with salt.  Yum!

Cucumber Tomato Salad - 1 (peeled) cucumber and 1 tomato, diced large.  Sprinkle with salt and stir in 1-2 tsp. Ranch dressing.  This one doesn't keep overnight very well.

I also made Microwave Bread and Butter Pickles and Crisp Freezer Pickles.

I also made Pico de Gallo this week.  When we were in Mexico, I could have lived on this stuff.  I smothered eggs and omelets with it for breakfast, I had it with chips and guacamole for dinner, and if I was lucky they included it in the condiments tray when we were seated for supper.  I started with a small amount, and then decided to make more, but this is the recipe I sort of followed (minus the jalapeno because I'm a very mild kind of girl).

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Deb said...

I made the Pico de Gallo today and am looking forward to having it with our breakfast eggs - if there is any left by morning! It's really good!