Friday, August 19, 2011

New Territory

I'm quite comfortable with most aspects of my life.

Obviously I'm not perfect in any part of my life, but mostly content.

I'm even comfortable remodeling, from doing the work to changing a house layout to making decisions about style and color.

But now I've entered new territory.

A place I've never had to challenge myself since we never stayed in a house long enough.

DECORATING.

I've spent the past weeks devouring magazines, decorating blogs and books.  And exploring thrift and second-hand stores, since I'm not after perfect and I love vintage and re-purposed pieces.  An area I had to (willingly) give Doug veto power over any piece I re-finish.

I'll have lots of upcoming posts on this, it's just a matter of finding making the time to sit down and do it.  Because I'm going to be looking for more feedback than Doug's "It's fine" responses. :)

Stage One: Bar Seating

I got the idea for this a while ago, and started it not too long after.

It's just the "completing" that I struggle with.

The pattern is from Ana White, called Small Easy Rustic X Benches.  There are so many things from her site that I have on my to do list it's not even funny.

I ended up painting them an off-white and then "dry-brushing" a brown over top to get the rustic look.  I like the effect, and it was much easier than my first (and quickly discarded) plan of painting it brown, and then white, and then sanding to give it the distressed look.  It would have taken a coat of prime, 1-2 coats of brown, 2 coats of white, and then careful sanding.  2 coats of white was enough after the primer, and the dry-brushing went - and dried - quickly.

You can't see the brown very well in the photo, but in person they look good.  Much better than the too-clean off white I considered for about the 10 seconds I had it setting by our counter.

And it was a very cheap project.  Well, anything that doesn't involve anything other than wood, screws, and paint is going to be really cheap for me. ;)  But even full price it would probably have been under $50, and that's including paint that I can use for lots of different projects I have planned.

No comments: