Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Our New Tradition

I don't know how many times in the past years I've thought about or talked about our family doing something together.  We spend a lot of time together, but even though we may be in the same room, we often aren't doing anything together, and the TV is usually on.

While I will never convince Doug that unplugging the TV for a month, or even a week, would be a fun experiment, I really want us to spend some time together while really being together.  Starting this week, we have designated Tuesday night as "Family Night" - after supper is cleaned up, the next hour is for us to have fun being together.

Yesterday, Henry and I made Snickerdoodles during the afternoon.  (Look at his little tongue - shaking them around in the cinnamon and sugar takes so much concentration!)  We also each ate one, but mine was warm from the oven, and his was raw and quickly shoved in his mouth.

We also collected leaves and pressed them between waxed paper.  He loved collecting the leaves and had so many he could hardly hold onto them all, but was fascinated with our "picture" for about 25 seconds.  Oh well.


After supper, we headed outside and Henry got to ride to the park in his wagon - which doesn't happen near often enough for him.  There we quickly tried out every piece of equipment on the playground, played with a basketball, got a "bucking bronco" ride from Dad on the bee, and rolled down a hill and got dizzy and covered in leaves.  On the way home, Dad tried riding down the hill with Henry but didn't make it very far and still had to pull him most of the way home.  Inside, we finally got to enjoy the cookies, and for as much as I like to bake (and as much as I like cookies), I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I think this is the very first time I have ever had Snickerdoodles.

No comments: